How To Start Beekeeping
- How To Start Beekeeping
How To Start Beekeeping
How to start beekeeping
Everyone is interested in knowing more about starting out as a new beekeeper. What is involved? There is a push to make beekeeping appear practically hands free. New beekeepers are failing to implement best management practices. I want to be your mentor. I am currently accepting positions to mentor a limited number of beekeepers. You'll have access to my personal cell phone and private email. And you can send me videos or pictures of your hive when it just doesn't seem right or you don't know what's going on. You'll also receive 4 new instructional videos from me and a weekly tip of what you should be doing. Click here to see if spots are still available.
How to start beekeeping. We are here to help you get started in beekeeping the right way.
1. Purchase your package of bees with a mated queen in the winter to arrive in the spring. The bees are for pick up only at our honey bee farm here in Illinois in the spring. Check out these kits today!
2. Purchase your woodenware hive equipment and supplies prior to your bees arriving.
3. Take one of our online beekeeping courses:
Thanks for your interest in beekeeping. We are David and Sheri Burns and we are here to help you become a successful beekeeper. I am a certified master beekeeper which means it is important to me that you get the right information about beekeeping. You've heard the old saying that if you ask 10 beekeepers a question you'll get 11 different answers. You're in good hands with us. You'll notice on our main "home" page we have 40 items giving you the details of beekeeping.
To us, raising bees is one of the most enjoyable hobby/businesses ever. We believe you will enjoy it as well. Some people keep honey bees simply because they are an amazing creature. Did you know that a honey bee flies around 15 mph? A hive of bees flies 55,000 miles to bring us 1 pound of honey. During her life (approximately 40 days) a honey bee will gather about 1/12 teaspoon of honey. Bees must go to two million flowers to gather l pound of honey. Bees can see the same colors we see except red. They can also see ultraviolet. See what awaits you as you become a beekeeper. We offer free online beekeeping lessons, videos and podcasts, as well as sell beekeeping supplies, bees and queens.
Beekeeping is really simple. Let me give you a brief flow chart:
1. Purchase your hives and equipment from us now for the 2015 beekeeping season.
2. Purchase the bees from us starting in November or you can purchase our kits with bees for pickup now to ensure you get bees in 2015. Honey bees are in high demand and resources are very limited across the country as we saw in 2014.
3. Take one of our beekeeping classes. We offer beginning, practical, advance and queen rearing classes year round. We also offer a three day beekeeping institute.
You can start with as few as one hive, but we recommend beginners start with two hives. Then each hive will need a 3lb package of bees (about 10,000 bees) with a marked queen.
Join us for our next basic beekeeping course. We offer beginner, advance and queen rearing classes. Click here for more information. During our onsite classes you can purchase your hives and take them home that day!
We pour so much of our time and energy into helping honey bees survive. Several years ago I invented the Winter-Bee-Kind winter feeding system. Don't make your bees go through winter without it.