10F-Winter-Bee-Kind SHIPS IN DECEMBER. SOLD OUT
Goes on Sale Aug. 1 of every year until SOLD OUT.
SHIPS IN DECEMBER IF TEMPS ARE BELOW 40 degrees.
DO NOT PLACE OTHER ITEMS IN YOUR CART WITH WINTER BEE KINDS, THESE BOARDS CAN NOT BE SHIPPED WITH OTHER ITEMS.
PLEASE READ ALL INFORMATION BEFORE PURCHASING
For winter feeding of honey bees.
- We will ship when the weather here is under 40 degrees. We are sorry if you need one earlier, but we do sell them without candy, so you can order and fill it yourself.
- Boards may arrive WET due to improper shipping. This is because there is a slight liquid center (or the bees can't access it) which can drip if the boards ship on their side. Just allow to harden and place on hive for bees to clean up.
- Instructions are enclosed and can be found here (below). Please place WBK board on the hive asap, OR freeze (it is a food product for honey bees and will not keep). We are sorry but we can not take returns on food products.
- Put on your hive after the first frost, and before the winter solstice. You will have to check periodically to see if the bees have eaten all the candy.
- How long it lasts is based upon how many bees you have, current temperature, how much honey stores they have, etc.
Use our Winter-Bee-Kind board when daytime temperatures are consistently below 50 degrees. Place board above your bee cluster with the candy side facing down and insulation side facing up. This will replace your inner cover. Simply place top cover over board and you're set! The amount of time your bees will take to finish the candy depends on how much food your bees have already packed away for the winter. Some colonies will take several weeks to finish the candy, and other colonies will take two weeks to finish. The board is refillable for reuse many times. A simple google search will bring up various recipes for candy boards.
Recipe: Our basic recipe is bring 12 oz of water to simmer on stove, add 4 lbs sugar. Run up the temperature to 250, remove, add any additives you desire, let cool. Put on hive on windless day, removing top cover quickly, sliding board on, replacing top quickly. David has several you tube videos demonstrating this. Note: many things go into making candy and may be difficult, such as humidity and temperature of your kitchen, altitude, type of sugar, whether you use electric or gas, etc.
Our WINTER-BEE-KIND board insulates the top, provides upper ventilation and comes filled with sugar and pollen for the bees to eat should they need it during the winter. NOW WITH pollen and feed stimulant! Each candy board also has pollen embedded into the candy sugar to give the bees the protein they need in their feed as well. This WINTER-BEE-KIND board insulates, ventilates and feeds your bees as a single unit. This is an Emergency winter feeding solution, that should only be used when it's too cold for bees to continue flying, which is typically when daytime temperatures are consistently below 50 degrees.
We use a special piece of insulation that is backed with a thin piece of metal to help reduce condensation in the hive. It has a special upper vent which also serves as an exit and entrance for bees as well as a place to help excess condensation escape. The WINTER-BEE-KIND CAN BE REFILLED AND USED FOR YEARS WITH PROPER STORAGE. You can use any candy board recipe but the simplest is to bring 12 oz of water to simmer on stove, add 4 lbs of sugar, stir. Let come to 250 degrees before removing and adding any feeding additives you desire. Pour into board, allow to cool before putting on hive. Replace on a windless day quickly, and do NOT lift any frames and inspect hive.
We are sorry, but due sanitation concerns, we can no longer accept refills on WBKs.