PLEASE READ ALL INFORMATION BEFORE PURCHASING
Place a separate order for any other products prior to Dec. 1. Any other items placed in your cart will ship at the same time as your Winter Bee Kind.
For winter feeding of honey bees.
- We will ship when the weather here is under 40 degrees (or they will melt!). Most orders shipped by early December of each year. After Dec. 1, allow 1- 2 weeks for delivery.
- Boards may arrive WET. This is because there is a slight liquid center (or the bees can't access it) which can drip if the boards ship on their side. Just allow to harden and place on hive for bees to clean up.
- Instructions are enclosed. Please place WBK board on the hive asap, OR freeze (it is a food product for honey bees and will not keep). We are sorry but we can not take returns on food products.
- Put on your hive after the first frost, and before the winter solstice. You will have to check periodically to see if the bees have eaten all the candy.
- How long it lasts is based upon how many bees you have, current temperature, how much honey stores they have, etc.
Use our Winter-Bee-Kind board when daytime temperatures are consistently below 50 degrees. Place board above your bee cluster with the candy side facing down and insulation side facing up. This will replace your inner cover. Simply place top cover over board and you're set! The amount of time your bees will take to finish the candy depends on how much food your bees have already packed away for the winter. Some colonies will take several weeks to finish the candy, and other colonies will take two weeks to finish. The board is refillable for reuse many times. A simple google search will bring up various recipes for candy boards.
Our WINTER-BEE-KIND board insulates the top, provides upper ventilation and comes filled with sugar and pollen for the bees to eat should they need it during the winter. NOW WITH pollen and feed stimulant! Each candy board also has pollen embedded into the candy sugar to give the bees the protein they need in their feed as well. This WINTER-BEE-KIND board insulates, ventilates and feeds your bees as a single unit. This is an Emergency winter feeding solution, that should only be used when it's too cold for bees to continue flying, which is typically when daytime temperatures are consistently below 50 degrees.
We use a special piece of insulation that is backed with a thin piece of metal to help reduce condensation in the hive. It has a special upper vent which also serves as an exit and entrance for bees as well as a place to help excess condensation escape. The WINTER-BEE-KIND also comes with a recipe on how to make our candy so that you can refill your candy section when needed, usually about once a month, depending on how much honey is in the hive.
We are sorry, but due sanitation concerns, we can no longer accept refills on WBKs.